Preparing for Competitions
Much of the following contains excerpts from an article by Barbara English Maris entitled "Points to Ponder When Preparing to Perform" (AMT, American Music Teacher Magazine-January, 1987) provide amazing insights into the exciting world of Music Festivals. Thank you, Barbara, for all your wonderful books and articles!
Table of Contents:
- How Can Competitions Help Me?
- When Can Competitions Not Help?
- How Should I Practice While Learning The Music?
- How Should I Practice Once The Music Is "Learned"?
- How Should I Practice a Few Weeks /Months Before The Competition?
- How Should I Practice the Day Of The Competition?
- What's The Judge Listening/Looking For?
- What Sort of Things Can I Expect To Find At The Competition?
- What's a Winner?
- The Judge Wore Tennis Shoes!
- THE REAL WORLD (for advanced pianists) - from, "Points to Ponder When Preparing to Perform"
- BEFORE DURING AFTER